SALSA DO PARMIGIANO (“Parm Dip”)
Recipe Courtesy: Michael Chiarello’s Bottega Cookbook
For those who have had the pleasure of dining at Bottega in Yountville, CA…you know what this dip is. Rather than your typical oil and vinegar you’re given this savory Parmesan dip along with the most exquisite artisan bread to smother it in. It’s sharp from the cheese, rich with excellent quality olive oil and spicy due to chili flakes. Truly delicious…it’s easy to loose your appetite with this stuff. Beware!
Makes 3 1/2 Cups to Serve 16
- 1/2 pound Parmesan cheese, not too dry
- 1/2 pound Asiago cheese, not too dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
Remove any rind from the cheeses and chop the cheeses into rough 1-inch chunks. Pulse the cheeses in a food processor until reduced to the size of a fine pea gravel. Transfer the cheese to a bowl and stir in the green onion and garlic. Add the oregano, rubbing between your fingers to release it’s fragrance. Add the black pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil. Stir well. Cover and let stand at room temperature at least 4 hours before serving.